It’s clear that there are many options for home security. Among those who are impressed with the variety, there are still some who would prefer to go without. The reason for this kind of a decision is often times due to a lack of finances. We are aware that some individuals or families simply cannot afford high-end security systems. So, is there a way to increase the security of a home without implementing an alarm system or installing fancy cameras?
The answer is yes. There are actually several ways to deter a thief from breaking into your home. It goes without saying though, that these tactics will not guarantee your safety, nor can they be being held to any kind of high standard when compared to home security systems.
5 ways to deter a burglar from breaking into your home, without paying for home security:
- Make it look like you are home. Keep a light on. Keep your or radio on. Don’t broadcast your plans, especially when leaving town. If you have to leave your home for any extended amount of time, make sure you are keeping up on your outdoor maintenance. If your grass is crazy, your garbage remains hidden, and your trees are a bit out of whack – in the eyes of a burglar – this implies you are away from the home.
- Purchase fake cameras. Fake cameras are a cheap and great investment. Homes with security cameras are about 3 times less likely to be broken into. It’s not likely that a burglar will take the time to ensure your cameras are real and functioning, so if you don’t want to real deal, make time to hang the fake ones.
- Know the signs. Burglars who have been interviewed will say that they are less likely to break into a home that portrays some kind of home security system is active inside, or outside of the home. There are many different signs you can post around your home! The trick is fooling a thief away from your home all together. Here are a few effective signs to try:
- Beware of Dog
- Smile, you’re on camera!
- Protected by…
- Neighborhood watch. It may be that you are too shy connect with the neighbors in your area, but you should do it anyways. There are tons of break-ins a year, and many of them are reported by surrounding neighbors. Implementing a simple system with the people around you will prevent a burglar from taking advantage of your home while you are away.
- Window Jammers and deadbolts. A window Jammer functions similarly to a deadbolt, but instead of securing a door, it secures a window. Deadbolts are the most effective kind of lock and will keep someone from easily breaking into your home. Other locks can be picked, while deadbolts are harder to overcome. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on home security, spend the money you have on deadbolt locks for all of your doors. You might even try a double dead bolt system.
To talk more about your home security options please call us!